Thursday, October 26, 2006

Making the connection between a sound and a reward changes brain and behavior

Making the connection between a sound and a reward changes brain and behavior

I wonder what sort of connection my mind made between my mom's keys and something "good."

I swear I can recognize her keys -- or at least I could back when she was working and had a huge set of them -- out of a crowd.

Wouldn't the same sort of connection happen if one connected a punishment, instead of a reward, with a sound? Ok, I admit I have not read the original research article. I'm assuming they only tested for reward and not for punishment. I guess.

The little blurb I linked to above also mentions people being able to recognize their own cell phone's ring. I don't. Recognize mine, that is. However, I DO notice if the little beep telling me I have a text message rings. I'll hear and notice that even if my phone is in a different room in my house. But, the call ringtone? I don't hear that even if it's right next to me sometimes.

No comments: